Wednesday, October 22, 2014

-MY FRIEND, YOU SUFFER FROM THE MISPLACED SPOILS OF THE DOOMED-


He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #18 - The Blood of Grayskull: part 5
Written by Dan Abnett
Drawn by Pop Mhan

This week was an immensely easy choice for my favorite. Ever since I was a wee lad, I was a fan of He-Man. The Masters of the Universe were the only friends I needed and that love still follows me to this day. I've bought toys, dvds, all the comics I can, posters (Boris Vallejo did an amazing He-Man vs Skeletor with Snake Mountain in the background). I love me some He-Man and the Masters. However, as one may guess from a young boy, She-Ra wasn't my cup. I had nothing against her but it's like Superman or Wonder Woman. One was the boys' favorite and one was the girls'. So color me surprised when DC revived the comics once more and Princess Adora was brought in as Hordak's evil general Despara. She was mean and ruthless and tried to kill all of the Masters. She was badass with a capital Ass. As the fighting commenced, she was slowly brought over. She regained some memory, she found out her true lineage, she rebelled against her master and now she stands with her brother, He-Man. Only on their recent journey, Prince Adam has been run through. If Adora cannot find the Sword
of Protection, she will not be able to heal her brother and she will lose her new-found family once more.
That's about all you need, This issue was pretty simple and slightly obvious but it was completely awesome. Adora gains the Sword of Protection and for the first time in this series two year tease, we get She-Ra. And I loved it. As a He-Man fan, I have come to at least respect what She-Ra brought to the story. Peanut butter and jelly. Lamb and tuna fish. Some things just go together and seeing her finally brought that to this story. She wasn't a symbol for only women and wasn't just the "honor" to Adam's "power". She was a protector of Eternia and had earned her place with the Masters. I have been a fan for many decades and I don't know that I have ever been more excited to see She-Ra. Makes me wanna claim it for the honor along with her. Well done Dan Abnett and DC. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment