Thursday, July 19, 2012

Clif-Notes: The Dark Knight Rises

So where do I begin with this one? I'll go with simple: this movie was amazing. Anybody who is in love with the others will absolutely love this and is you hated them, you should probably stay away.
Now let's get a little more geeky and specific.
The first of two obvious comparisons is how DKR stands against Avengers and that's a tricky answer from me. As a movie, DKR was better for me. It had a better story and better acting (taking nothing away from Avengers in either). However, as I said, if you love the others, it was almost a given that you would love this one. Avengers, on the other hand, had the surprise factor. It was looking real good and we all hoped it would match those looks but being the first movie/character ensemble it was never a definite thing. Avengers was the bigger surprise and therefore stands out just a little more. In all honesty, it's the flip of a coin for me. Either one could be better on any given day.
The second and sure to be the one I will argue most (and get the most shit for) is Bane vs Joker. I feel Ledger's Joker is one of the best portrayals in any comic movie and one of the more haunting performances in a very long time. He was that movie, plain and simple. Tom Hardy's Bane is more "complicated" like the Avengers battle. Taking nothing from his performance, Hardy was not as scary as the Joker. Nor should he have been. After Ledger's Joker, it was practically impossible for Hardy to be seen as a better villain. However, with a better made all-around movie, that's exactly what I feel happened. His voice aside (I didn't hate it at all but it still felt.... off), Bane was a better finish for the Caped Crusader. He fit the movies better, made more sense and was a threat that I felt was much harder for Batman to try and overcome. Some revelations at the end in particular helped seal the deal for me.
Overall this was a fantastic ending to a fantastic trilogy. I can't think of one thing I would change (maybe Holmes but they already changed that for me) and that is one of the best things one can say about a movie.

Prometheus is still my year favorite though.


1 comment: