Wednesday, March 27, 2013

NB of the Week

 OH SPOILS YOU'RE SO FINE, YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND HEY SPOILS -CLAP CLAP CLAP- HEY SPOILS!

Uncanny Avengers #5
Written by Rick Remender
Drawn by Olivier  Coipel

The first story from the high profiled, new series, though a very good read, was a bit of a let-down for me. Very simple, very "safe" story, especially with what Remender did with Uncanny X-Force. However, Remender wins me back with two main parts from this book.
The first is the very small prologue. In the first three pages, we get the introduction of the new baddies The Apocalypse Twins: birthed from the Horseman Pestilence and spawned from the seed of Apocalypse. And they stand in the way of the future of the Immortal Kang so naturally he appears and steals them, presumably to raise them as his own.
Second is for a story concept that is long overdue. As Wasp and Wonder Man join the team to help with the PR of a mutant/Avengers team, Havok really takes the lead, even giving orders to Captain America,
"Did Cap looked pissed?"
"Yeah. A Bit. Like he clearly isn't a fan of being given orders."
"Well, he's going to have to learn to stand down and accept my judgement calls."
On top of that, when the Avengers Unity Division (not sure how sold I am on the name) is introduced to the public, Havok steps forward to unmask himself and let everybody know who he is: the brother of mutant fugitive Cyclops.
"I never quite saw things as my brother did and later our views diverged even further. I don't see myself as being born into a mutant cult or religion. Having an x-gene doesn't bond me to anyone. It doesn't define me. In fact, I see the word "mutant" as divisive. Old thinking that serves to further separate us from our fellow man. We are defined by our choices, not the makeup of our genes."
It was in that moment that Havok just became the Xavier to Cyclops' Magneto and I love that idea. They have always been at odds with each other, mostly played under the banner of Alex having to live in the shadow of his older, always right brother. Only now it's moved beyond sibling rivalry. Alex has the chance to help in the way that he's has always felt Scott was doing better and that's to create a coexistence. Scott has fallen to the ways of that which he has fought so long against and Alex will be damned if he's going to let that dream fall with him.
Also Rogue apparently killed Wonder Man's brother, Grim Reaper.
Remender reminded me with this issue why he has what it takes to write a big book and I can't wait to see this take-charge Havok lead this team against the threat of the Apocalypse Twins and Kang. And if other villains get in the way, well I won't mind that too much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment