Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Clif-Notes: The Kings of Summer

Tired of their home lives, Joe, Patrick and Biaggio (although Biaggio is just kinda there. No real reason) move themselves out to the woods, build a house and decide to live there. They are their own masters now. It's really that simple of a movie. The first thing that hit me about this movie was the humor. I was laughing the entire time. Biaggio in particular stole it all as the creepy, little kid who just sorta shows up and continues to hang around. And I'm pretty certain he tried to speak parseltongue at one point. The three boys (or young men, as Hollywood typically uses/calls them) had amazing chemistry together.
I'm not going to sit here and say that it's a heart-warming, coming of age type of comedy. I don't really see it being a voice for teens everywhere. A lot of people compare it to Stand By Me but I have no problem admitting I have never seen that one so I can't add to it (though if you have, there ya go) but I can say that I oddly connected. I'm twice the age of these characters and yet I understood how they felt. From the isolation of their family to their jealousy of each other over a girl. Not sure if that's a positive for the writing and acting or a negative for me and my inability to let go of the past but it connected either way. This movie has made me feel the way Safety Not Guaranteed did. not in the specifics of each, perse but in the delivery. A smaller, Indie film that took my completely by storm and kinda blew my mind.
Check out the trailer. If you have an interest, watch it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
(It's red band so be careful of the potty language)

1 comment: