Wednesday, August 3, 2011

NB of the Week

Punisher #1 - Punisher: One
My biggest complaint with this comic is that I have none of the art to put up to make you salivate as much as I did.
The premise is simple. Frank Castle lost his wife and kids and now takes vengeance on the scum of the Earth as the Punisher.
See? Simple.
New feature, though, is writer Greg Rucka. Rucka is one of the best crime writers out there. From his amazing, nearly three year stint on Detective Comics to his Atticus Kodiak novels, Rucka has established himself as one of the top wordsmiths in crime and noir. Which is exactly why I was excited for him to be on Punisher. Throw in the brilliantly dark and moody art of Marco Checchetto and this issue is a full winner.
In the story, somebody has just killed twenty-seven people, injuring nineteen more. Thankfully, one of the detectives put on the case owes Frank and he is able to get to the killer group first. He appears in one shot or another on only six pages. He speaks not one word the entire issue. He doesn't have to. Everybody involved knows what he is saying without them. I can't help but be reminded of when Rucka relaunched Wolverine back in '03 and he didn't have Wolverine pop his claws until five or six issues in. He has a sense of anticipation in his stories that makes you eager for the shit to finally hit the fan and that fits perfectly for Punisher.
I cannot stress my love for this title enough. I know it's only one issue in but that just shows how much I actually enjoyed it. One issue and I can't wait for the next issue. If you want great Punisher, run and pick up this title. You will not be disappointed.
And as soon as I can get some of the issue's art, I will throw it up and let ya oogle it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment