Thursday, September 29, 2011

Vampires Can Be Cool

With the "reboot" of the whole DCUniverse this month, this week brought the redoing of I, Vampire. A lame concept from the '80s that looked to be a lame concept now. But then I actually read it and I have to admit that I was wrong.
Andrew Stanton is a vampire. His ex is the Queen of the Damned, Mary. Mary thinks it's high time they take their rightful place at the top of the totem and that means exposing themselves (snicker) and taking out the heroes of the DCU by creating an army of vampires. It's up to Andrew to stop her and her new horde.
I admit to being skeptical and I admit to being wrong. While the actual writing was the weak point, it still did it's job well. However, the premise and the amazing art are what won me over. Look at this dude's art. His name is Andrea Sorrentino. First off, it looks a lot like Jae Lee and that's not a bad thing. Second, it may be some of the most fitting art for this book. Dark and gritty is how a vampire should look.
So here's to DC. In a world filled with dumb, ridiculous, Twi-Tard vampires, you have given me a reason to keep my hope and I thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment