Saturday, January 8, 2011

Clif-Notes: The Book of Lies

After a few weeks of ADD kicking in and leaving it on the shelf, I finally picked this book back up and finished it. A great book that made me want to almost read part of the bible. Almost.
Written by Brad Meltzer, Book of Lies tells the story of Cal Harper as he finds his long, lost father, shot and dying. Even more peculiar is that the gun used is traced back to the murder of Mitchell Siegel, father of Superman creator Jerry Siegel. Even more peculiar-er, a man with the mark of Cain is set on killing them both now. How is the murder of Cain's brother Abel connected to the creation of the world's greatest icon and how did Cal's father get dragged into all of it? And why am I asking so many rhetorical questions?
This book was pretty awesome and took me quite by surprise. I found the hardcover at Barnes N Noble for only seven bucks and figured it was worth a shot. I liked the comics that DC got Meltzer to write so this couldn't be that bad. However, outta religion, mysteries and comics, I do only tend to like one of them so it was a risk for me. And it paid off. The end was a little quick and even though it fit the story, it didn't really fit the tone for me but I still liked it. Worth reading if you ever get the chance and don't mind a lot of... "off theories" about the story of Cain and Abel and even that of Superman and Jerry Siegel. Great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment