Thursday, January 26, 2012

Clif-Notes: Haywire

Haywire is a simple and over-used plot: Ops for hire is set up, has to clear their name before it's too late. But here's the small difference with this one: said Ops is played by MMA fighter Gina Carano and not only is she amazingly hot but she literally kicks ass for a living. Throw in great actors like Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender, Antonio Banderas and Michael Douglas and you have a fun ride.
The biggest problem for me was that tired and true plot. You knew where this was all gonna end form the start (though I loved the very last scene) and it kinda took away from really being "into" it. The acting of Carano, while decent was lacking. However, this is her first major movie so I wasn't expecting a cage fighter with little acting to blow my mind. She was grabbed for her fighting and it fit. I would easily see her in most any movie she tries to throw herself into (it's that whole "she could kill me" thing again. Not sure why I find that so hot...) and I'm hoping there are plenty more down the line.
The plain and simple of it is that I very much enjoyed this movie. It's not the best and it's far from the worse. It was less fighting than what I feel they lead us to believe (though the fighting they had was awesome and without any music or score during it, it felt a little more real) but still great on action. It was real good. That's about the highest it goes. A fun movie to have on in the background but no need to run right out to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment