Saturday, August 21, 2010

Clif-Notes: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Before I go into anything about actually seeing the movie, I have to tell you how I felt about it by it's previews and word-of-mouth alone.
There was no doubt in my mind that this movie had the potential to be funny. With Edgar Wright as half the mind behind it, how could it not be? However, by the look of things, there was also the chance that this would be a very "emo" movie. At least in my eyes. Very much a mope-fest about how "she will never really be mine". And with most of the Evil Exes having the stupid hair covering half their face and there being a shortage of eye-liner on the set, this was definitely the feel I was getting from it. And I feel I was absolutely right.
And yet I loved the movie. I laughed the entire time. Edgar Wright was able to take a supremely cry-filled and emo story (in my opinion) and make me not care. The people I liked were all the good-guys and the the people I didn't like were the bad-guys. And I even liked most of the bad-guys too. I was excited the minute a character walked into a scene. Any character, really. That's how much I liked this movie. Needless to say, I was blown away by this movie. Hands-down, the best "surprise hit" of the year for me. I thought it could be good and I left thinking it was great. You have to go see this movie. Sadly, with the numbers it's been pulling in, it doesn't seem like it will last long in the theaters so do your part and go. I really don't see how any of us geeks would not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment