Monday, October 18, 2010

Is It Racist That I Still Find This Racist?

I saw a news clip about how much praise this video is getting. Apparently the story is that the head writer at Sesame Street has an adopted, black child and after she complained about not having the cliched "strait, blond" hair type, he wanted to make her feel better and wrote this song.
My problem with this (as it is with a lot of things like this) is that if a white puppet was singing about how they loved having their strait, blond hair, people would be in an uproar about how racist it is. I don't get it.
I'm not saying it doesn't have a positive message. I like that it's teaching kids to love themselves for who they are. I just think it's funny that being aimed at black kids isn't racist when if it were aimed at white kids, it would be. But whatever, right? Watch it and judge it for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment